Sunday, September 5, 2010

Religion

Yeah, I went there. This is the first time in months I have blogged and this is my first blogger.com blog (I used to use myspace). I thought I lost my passion for some time. No, actually, I did. But that's another blog for another time. Today, I woke up thinking so many things about today. About what today represents and the dreams I had last night. So yeah, I'm gonna talk about it. I'm actually going to share my real thoughts about religion and possibly piss off some people. So fuck it. How else would I come back to blogging, if it's not with something controversial and touchy. Let's do this.
My opinion on religion is simple. Religion is man made. It was invented out of necessity so that people had something to hold on to. So that people can bear the atrocities of the world. Also, because the world needed rules. They also needed fear to control the villains of the earth. That's religion. Nothing more. People are ignorant by nature. As we all know, we are not born with knowledge and back when civilization was barely beginning, people were more ignorant and unscientific than now. But like in modern times, geniuses and intellectual people were born. I actually believe that the first people to bring up religion were crazy geniuses who invented a way to manipulate people. Poor, ignorant and gullible people. Hence the Old testament, the Qu'ran, the "teachings". People feared God or Gods in the beginning. So some prophets changed the rules a bit, realizing you can catch more flies with honey than hate. So an eye for an eye was not really the way to be. This is when Christianity really took off. Then when others saw how successful Christianity really was, we got variations. Pretty much with the same rules (thou shall not kill, thou shall not steal, etc..) but done to fit other group of people's needs.
Muslims are very extreme. Judaism is somewhat extreme. Christianity is more convenient. Catholics, born again Christians, Mormons, baptists, protestants, etc... all derive from Christianity. Each one claiming to be legitimate to the ways of the Lord and the way into heaven; including Islam and Jews.
Why am I thinking about this today? Because people have turned September 11 into a day about religious differences. This horrible day that happened so many years ago. The event that killed so many people for POLITICAL reasons has now been turned into a religion controversy. So today, I want to express my opinion on what religion is to a thinking person. I have another blog coming soon about this day, and what I think about this country and their arrogance, but I will talk about it on a different day, when people aren't too sensitive about the subject.
I was born and raised a catholic. I have good memories about it too (I was not one of the unlucky molested ones thankfully). The stories were beautiful; stories about a guy named Jesus and his mom Mary, kings, apostles, maidens, palaces and one God. Parables they call them. The Bible really is a great book. Very entertaining and full of everything, including sex, violence and magic. I am definitely not an expert so I may be wrong but the Old Testament is crazy and did not pair well with Jesus' teachings; so when he died they made the new one. I think that's pretty much how it went. Anyway, being a catholic and believing in God since I remember, it is really hard for me to discontinue the belief in everything that was taught to me. Religion has a way to guilt you for LIFE, even though I was always smarter than my religion classmates at any age. I questioned everything, but back then, because God wants it that way, was good enough to shut me up; I was smart enough not to get in trouble and shut it but it DID bother me. I won't lie. I did enjoy those parables. But now I am pretty certain they were made by very smart people who used their LOGIC. Stories. Like Pinocchio, who teaches us not to lie. What's the difference? Carlo Collodi was no apostle. Yet his story was just as fantastic as some parables. Scary too. And in the end teaches the kid to behave, mind their parents, don't lie, etc.. but without the guilt. That damn guilt.
Does God exist? I think there's something greater than us. I can't just leave that notion. There's so much in the world that can't be explained. So yeah, there is something. God, a wizard, mother nature. I don't think I should praise him. I respect him. But he made me the way I am for a reason, right? And I can think what I want. Or else he would've made robots. And if he did make me this smart only to keep testing me, my values and my person all together to see if I'm worthy, then that doesn't sound like something good. That sounds like an abusive relationship. No? Well that's my opinion. Do I think he will strike me for writing this? Nope. If something bad were to happen to me in the next 24 hours I will not blame this blog or my way of thinking or him. We make choices. If I choose to go left instead of right and I die, oh well. I guess I should've gone right. If some religious freak decides to kill me because of my idea, then that's that person's problem. Not mine. Not God's either.
Jesus. I like him. Very cool. The original hippie IMO. Promotes love and peace. I think he was more than that and I do believe his idea was pure. I think he was a gifted child who realized that religion was full of fear and hate. So he changed things a bit. Maybe he was the original David Copperfield. Made things appear and disappear. And he was smart enough to use that to make people look his way. Or maybe all the magic mentioned was just a tad exaggerated. After all, the bible was not written by Jesus himself but his apostles and other prophets. Genius. The original big story. This is what reporters live for. A man with the right idea. Betrayal. His body gets taken from his tomb (I'm sure they had no guards there). Suddenly it's the biggest story yet. And people STILL believe it. Even after all we know in this day and age.  We're so gullible I swear.
Now before you all get your panties all in a bundle, think about it. If some dude suddenly claims to be the son of God today and he performs tricks and such, would you believe him? Follow him? Write stories about him? Would you do as the apostles and leave your job, families, home? Do you really think the apostles didn't get shit from the women they left behind? The children they left behind? Is that good parenting? I am not saying they were bad people, but back then, what else was there to do right? Who knows? They needed it. The people needed it. What I do know, what my logic tells me is that we are smarter than this and all we really need is to be decent human beings. If you need prayer and churches and some dude telling you what to do in the name of an invisible being, then so be it. If that makes you feel better, go for it. But just because it makes you feel better doesn't mean it makes me or others feel good. If being extreme like a muslim or being prejudicial like a christian or a Jew make you a better person to others then good. But stop pushing your religion on me. I don't like it. With that being said, giving me any type of blessing from any religion does not bother me at all, I take that as you giving me good vibrations and such. I appreciate that.
I'll tell you what I do believe in. I believe in being a good person. I believe in not hurting others on purpose. I believe we are not perfect and we can stand some people and some not so much. Some people may never be compatible with you either. It's part of life. What I don't understand is hate. Why? If you're incompatible with someone, stay away. Why the hate because you look different or believe in ghosts? Human nature is such a tricky thing.
I'm done with this. I'm sure I have many more ideas I'd like to spew on this here blog. But, I also have a life and I want to enjoy the rest of my Saturday.
May the eternal sun shine down upon you and may your blades never dull. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with all of this and if you don't step on others, neither will they (hopefully).

    ReplyDelete