Friday, October 1, 2010

Nice or creepy?

There's a sweet lady that comes here every week to talk to her case worker, drop off her job search, get gas vouchers, etc.. Very nice lady. Very quiet and shy, but nice.

In the 6 months that I have been here, she has seen the shit I go through. She hardly talks to me but she has always been polite.


She calls every now and then and I give her information on what's going on with traffic, if it's going to take long, for appointments, etc..(just like I do with any other client).


She seems to have recently taken a shine to me. And it's weird because I have never sensed anything weird about her, except for the fact that she whispers a lot. But not creepy, more like shy.


So I get a call one day from her and she tells me that she really likes me. That she always thought of me as a very nice girl and she has a gift for me. I told her thank you and gifts aren't necessary but she insists that it's just a little something because she likes the way I treat people. So I said ok, not really thinkging about it too much. This was on Friday.


Come Monday, she walks in and she hands me a Victoria's secret bag. I was like, wtf, did she buy me underwear? But no. I saw a very nice necklace and earrings. Very cute color. And a bag of Dove dark chocolates. She called me back later that day and asked me if I had liked it. I told her yes and I thanked her again.


**Sidebar- There's a lady here that keeps talking to me. And she's always been nice to me but I am in no mood to entertain. She's telling me her problems (like I don't have any right now). She's giving me a headache. To make matters worse, people keep calling and walking in, but not enough to keep me busy and mindless. Oh thank God Melissa called her in already. **

Anyway, a few days go by and she brings me really cute earrings that I can really use with almost everything and they kinda go with a bracelet I own.

I'm flattered but at the same time a bit concerned because I'm just not used to people JUST being nice. Especially not in this place. And she has never given me a bad vibe of any kind.

I gave her my thanks and told her that she really doesn't need to be so nice. I am merely doing my job, but that I appreciate it.

So I have to ask. Is she just extra nice or is it just plain creepy?

2 comments:

  1. *blink blink* I would have to say creepy. I really want to be optimistic and say that people are great, wonderful, and can surprise you, but if it would not be creepy it would certainly be odd.

    Along the vein of of optimism, and hoping to not sound too creepy myself, you do strike me as someone who is very no nonsense and down to earth (from what I read here and my one time of working with you). These traits are unfortunately rare, so I can understand her recognizing and wanting to show her appreciation of said traits.

    Furthermore, in an attempt to give her the benefit of the doubt, does she maybe make jewelry as a side business? If that is the case, then I would say she's very nice, but if she's going out and buying these items, then . . . I would have to lean over to the odd/weird/creepy side, unless again, she's spending less than $5-$10.

    Why does the price matter? Well, it seems she may be unemployed, so why is she spending money on a stranger? But if she's making the stuff, then she probably already has the supplies to do this for you.

    Hmmm, I've realized I haven't really answered anything and have only presented more questions.

    I just finished reading "Memoirs of a Geisha" and it amazes me how the characters can innocently fish for answers to delicate questions, for example, rather than asking if someone will be attending a party, they would say they have the person's favorite drink ready. Hopefully the person that this is stated to will let them know if he or she will be arriving sometime soon, if at all.

    Maybe mentioning that the items must have cost her too much, or that your boyfriend will grow suspicious of such expensive gifts may make her give you a bit more information about the items?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen her several times after the last gift and she doesn't mention anything. She just says hello and asks how I am and stuff. That's it. Issac thinks I might remind her of someone she once knew. One of my supervisors told me to let her know not to do it again (if it ever came up)as we are not allowed to accept gifts from clients. It's a way to let her down easy without sounding like a complete jerk too.

    ReplyDelete