Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy new year?

I've become more and more cynical when it comes to holidays.  I see them as an opportunity for a day or two off without the cost of my PTO.  Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy my days off.  It's just, the holidays themselves don't mean much to me anymore.

Christmas.  I go with the flow.  Over spend $$ like everyone else because I feel guilty if I don't.  Period.  That's all it has become.  Getting together with family and/or friends is nice but you can do this at any time of the year.  At least for me because they all live here.

New years?  I used to LOVE new years eve and the parties and the drinking.  I looked forward to it this time around and I had a nice time.  But it's not as exciting as it used to be.  I fell asleep around 3 when I used to last until at least 6.  Maybe it's part of getting old.  Dunno. 

Also, the resolutions were a big part of it.  I loved to make stupid resolutions that I knew I wouldnt keep.  Then a few years ago, I just stopped.  Still partied, still enjoyed the company of friends and liquor, but just stopped caring.

Now, it's just another day.  A number changed.  That's it.  I still have the same job.  Same haircut.  Same clothes.  Same friends.  My closet still needs to be gutted and rearranged as I have been wanting to do it for 2 months.  Nothing's really changed.  And that's fine.  It's just no big difference because a number changed in the calendar.  The day you lose your job can be any day.  The day you find another job can be in a month or 2.  The day you get dumped, hitched, pregnant, meet the love of your life, have an accident, or die... That can happen any day.  Certain events mark a certain date and those are important to remember.  New years eve?  Not that important.  Good to get a day off so you can take off from your boring life, but the "holiday" itself is stupid.

Not everything is bitterness and criticism in this blog though.  I do appreciate some memories that marked the calendar for 2010.  I won't go month by month as I really don't recall most things but I will mention a few that I can think of now.

In the begining of the year I lost my job.  Not a great loss really.  In fact, I had the time of my life for a few months milking the tit of uncle sam.  Waking up a bit later than what I was used to but not too late.  Re-decorated a few rooms in the house.  Painted on canvas (not that great but just to put some colors on my walls).  It was truly wonderful.  Sadly, reality kicked in and I had to accept a job offer or I'd lose my benefits.  It wouldve affected my taxes as well.  So back to work I went.

Before I went back to work, I spent a few days with my friend Gaby in Austin.  I'd been wanting to do that for some time.  Just take off on my own and forget about the real world for a bit.  I think it was around March or April.  It was the week of South by Southwest.  I had never been to that festival, it's a bit expensive and somewhat overrated but I still had a really good time.  I liked St. Patrick's day.  That was very fun.  During the days it was very relaxing.  I'd wake up early to drop off Gaby to work and then I'd have the whole day to myself.  I will always be grateful to her for opening the doors to her home and her car to me.  If you're reading this Gaby, thank you.  It's not easy to find friends like you and I would like you to know that I never take you for granted. 

From that trip as well, one of the best memories was when X surprised me at a bar.  I suspected he was on his way, he kept acting strange all night.  Sending me messages and asking about cover and who was playing.  When he showed up, I was so flattered.  I missed him a lot and this gesture just melted me.  Sick and sweet at the same time.  I fell in love all over again.

I started exercising around spring at least 2 to 3 times a week.  It started with the gym we have at the complex then I started using the wii playing the just dance games and zumba.  It's gone up to 3 to 4 times a week.  It really does make a difference.  Not only do my clothes feel better but my body feels better as well.  More energized.  I like to look good, but feeling more active is the best.  Makes you feel younger.  This new life style I hope to keep for life.  I'll surely try my best to do so.

One of my other good friends, Nety, took me out for my birthday.  That's a great memory from 2010 as well.  I hadn't really hung out with her in some time, so she surprised me by taking me to dinner and drinks.  It was so nice that I almost felt like I had to fuck her afterwards.  She didn't put the moves on me so I just thanked her.  :p  I wish I couldve done the same for her, but she has many friends and family who already had plans with her.  I believe she went out of town.  I owe her one for sure though.

Got a new job.  A little different from what I've been doing, but not too much.  Dealing with lazy people is not something new to me.  That's all I have to say about that.

My son is in his 2nd year of college.  Very proud of him, but I always have been and I always will be.

No lawsuits this year that I had to help out with.  That's a good thing, especially since we were still paying for the one for the year before. 

Summertime.  San Japan.  Always a good time. 

I sang karaoke with a bunch of chickens... I mean chicks... at my sister's birthday party.  Loud yes, but I had fun.

My sister was very ill for a couple of months.  Sure that's sad but she came out of it ok and that's worth mentioning. 

Little things here and there that I may not remember.  Good laughs, good cries, good food, good drinks(the discovery of cucumber martinis), arguments, disagreements and great discussions (personal and political).   

And let's not forget the good friends that shared last year with me.  All of them, I hope, will last a lifetime.

So to end this little rant, this new year tastes the same to me so far as last year, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Salud!

1 comment:

  1. " . . .it's just another day. A number changed. That's it. I still have the same job. Same haircut. Same clothes. Same friends . . . "

    I know exactly what you mean. The phrase, "The more things change, the more things stay the same," has extra meaning in your life, and by 'your' I mean mine as well. It's hard not to get bogged down with cynicism, apathy and negativity when your life is a exercise in wash, rinse, repeat. One of the more difficult things I've gotten myself to do is getting myself to try to make new friends. But finding cool people who may even begin to comprehend or even accept someone who is a 1)stay at home mom, 2)plays WoW (albeit occasionally), 3)writes, 4)LARPs, 5)likes Sci-Fi, 6)Is deeply religious, but doesn't go to church, 7)is politically moderate, but I fight for my causes, 8)into cos-play, I could go on for freakin ever, but lets just say I'm not your cookie cutter mom that fits in at the PTA or the church group. I don't fit in at pretty much any group, and I've accepted that. So I kind of made it a mid year resolution last year to go out and meet as many people as possible because those that are kindred spirits, are also rolling stones. They move on, and I have no intention of encouraging them to not keep striving for their dreams because I want them around me longer. Few are the number of friends that I trust, who actually know all that I am, and who I know accept me for all that. It's not a bad thing. Having a great number of friends also means that there may be a few false ones in there and I hate drama. I hate having to watch my back. As the saying goes, "Mejor sola que mal acompaniada." (sp?)

    Great blog btw, and I hope that the changing of the numbers to a new year will bring you many more good days, good laughs, and good times with good friends.

    ReplyDelete